redmine is a free and open source project manager under the GNU license. It is recommended for the ease it provides in interacting with clients, providing a web interface to manage both tasks and progress in your projects.
At Duplika we use MySQL 8 and MariaDB 10.6, which is not supported by Redmine, so if you need it, you would have to consider a cloud or dedicated server, where you can configure the services to your liking.
1. Download Redmin
- go to page http://www.redmine.org/ and download the latest version of redmine steady.
- For compatibility with Ruby 2.2, choose Redmine 3.0 or higher (with redmine 2.6 may not use Ruby 2.2.).
- Unzip to some directory not inside public_html (For security).
2. Create the application in Passenger
- Go to your cPanel and look for the option “Setup Ruby App” (Not Ruby on Rails!). If you don't have that option, you may alt-ruby is not installed for your site.
- To choose Ruby 2.1 or 2.2 depending on the version of redmine, the directory where we leave the source and a path (it can be “redmine”)
3. Install modules
- From your WHM, enable access from shell (bash) For the bill.
- Add this account to the group compilers, also from WHM.
- Create a MySQL database and user for Redmine from cPanel.
- Log in with that user by console, and configure the file config/database.rb
- Then run...
# change APPLICATION to the application directory (in this case: redmine)
# change VERSION to the version of Ruby (2.1 or 2.2)
# check any error it throws
RAILS_ENV=production rake db:migrate
RAILS_ENV=production REDMINE_LANG=en rake redmine:load_default_data
Now it remains to test that the site works correctly.
The default login is: user “admin”, password “admin”.